Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx

From: brian2
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:46:09 -0600 (CST)

> "Image" (LOWSRC) with both flagged collectively as Optional.  If you
> activate help while on that dialog, the text in the help file tells you
> that you should always specify a text representation so that text-based
> browsers such as Lynx can see something.  Now, if we could just convince
> people to read the online help (I work helpdesk in computer labs, and know
> how impossible THAT is... {grin}).

Coming from another helpdesk worker in the same labs, I concur. :) Getting
people to RTFM might be an interesting concept. I would imagine, however,
that a text representation should be a slight bit more than optional, as
it seems asinine to have a page that is *only* visible in graphical
browsers. But then, looking at some of the pages on this campus alone
("MTSU Lynx Page, for the browser-impaired", etc), it kind of shows
people's prejudices.

On sort of a side note, what's the deal with the ever-growing number of
pages with lynx detecting bad HTML? Are "HTML coders" really getting that
lax, or are they simply following the "Netscape standard" and not what
really is proper HTML? I get "no form action defined" about 8-10 times a
day in Lynx. If this is the quality of HTML people are getting paid mucho
dollars to produce, perhaps I'm in the wrong line of work.

--brian

;
;