Re: LYNX-DEV modular code

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV modular code
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:15:35 +0900 (JST)

> > It is extremely easy to remove modules from the wwwlib stuff; there are
> > even commented instructions right along the code in HTAccess.c on how to
> > do it.  Of course this has no effect on the lynx binary.
>
> Do you mean no effect at all, or just no significant effect?  If you
> eliminate e.g. all traces of HTFinger.o from the relevant Makefile,
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No effect at all.  My, quite likely mistaken, understanding is that the
only relevant Makefile is src/Makefile, i. e., relevant to getting a
smaller binary.

> > to take out, for example, the LYTraversal.o module, which _would_ have a
[...]
> Without specifics on what you tried, and how it failed, there's no way
> of helping you..  (well unless someone would try the same thing

Don't worry about helping; I'll continue to plug away at it.  JFYI, though,
the problem is wading through LYMainLoop.c and removing all references to
traverse without messing up the parsing.

> Doing this at the time when a new feature is added is relatively easy.
> Trying to do it later, as an afterthought, is more difficult.

I am very glad someone understood why I made that comment : ) : ).  I'll
be even happier if somehow it can be implemented.

> That sounds like you want dynamic libraries.  And then I don't even

No, not really.  Just want to be able to throw away a couple of modules
I'm not using without having to go through the whole code set and make
modifications.

Anyway, my main point is can lynx development go the way of more modular.

__Henry
;
;