Re: LYNX-DEV public Lynx

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV public Lynx
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:16:20 -0500 (EST)

  From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>

  > >Is there a Lynx for public access for those of us with SLIP/PPP
                                                            ^^^^^^^^
  >     A set of links to them is maintained in:
  >
  >    Linkname: See Lynx for yourself

  Just asking, but can SLIP/PPP do telnet or http?  I think those are the
  only protocols for the public access lynx's.  Need a telnet or WWW client
  on the PC?

Yes.  SLIP and PPP extend the 'Net one link beyond the basic
TCP/IP net.  Telnet and HTTP etc. are protocols that run over
this foundation.  The great explosion in Internet use in the
U.S. is via Netscape and its competitors running on PCs which
participate in the 'Net by making a PPP connection, and then
talking HTTP [and NNTP and POP..] over that connection.

Al Gilman

;
;