Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx updates

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx updates
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:59:17 +0100 (MET)

Klaus Weide wrote:

> In light of your, Drazen's, and my messages, I started thinking...
> (which can be dangerous):

Since it's somewhat annoying to see Drazen without ž could you all
switch to Dave? If I wont be cofused with some other Dave, that is. :)

> So why don't we exchange messages on these things then?
> Something like a micro mailing list, for questions occurring while
> hacking the Lynx code?  Questions like "what is this supposed to do",
> "where is this used", or "what would happen if I changed this".
>
> No MajorDomo needed for this, a simple sendmail alias should work fine,
> if it's only there or four people we could even just CC.
> Drazen, instead of offering web space, do you have a sendmail that
> could do some small daemon work for us?

I knew this would happen some day. You really want me to study sendmail
book, mortal? :) Well... If I have to... Although, I could install
listserver, or I could ask the person in charge of the existing ones.
But, why not on lynx-dev? That should be the right place, IMHO.

> As a concrete start (gotta start somewhere), Wayne, Drazen, feel free
> to mail this kind of questions to me.  In most cases I won't know the
> answer and will tell you that.  But could be worth a try.  I will
> bother you with similar questions in return.  Anybody else up for this?
> Rob?  Fote?  Hiram?  all the others who have modified the code?

You can bother me as much as you wish, but there's really slim chance I'll
know the answer. Unless it's related to HTTP or HTML. Or you want me to
find if your code is foolproof. Or you have C questions, but in that
case I'll direct you to The Other C FAQ. :)

> > Try 'man cflow'. If that's not good enough, search the web for cxref.
> > That's the package with the same functionality, only better :). I think that
> > it became stable, but I don't have the URL. And you might find 'man ctags'
> > useful, too.
>
> I would have said "grep" :)

That's what I'm doing too, but when somebody asks for the proper way... :)

> wouldn't find, especially in the Lynx code.  For example, how would
> they be able to figure out that HTLoadFile() or HTLoadHTTP() are actually
> invoked by *this* statement (in HTAccess.h):
>
>     status= (*(p->load))(HTAnchor_physical(anchor),
>                         anchor, format_out, sink);

I haven't tried them either :), but cxref should be able to do something,
perhaps not much, but you never know.

> Fote recently wrote the the LYleaks was a kind-of purify for all
> systems..  It certainly doesn't require Motif or even X, and it's free.
> But I haven't tried it.

I know, but Purify is, well... it's a beauty if you have resources.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden