Re: LYNX-DEV new entities

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new entities
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:13:54 GMT

[Klaus Weide]

> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
>
> > In other news, word from the W3C is that Cougar is going to have a
> > whole passel of new character entities, including a set available
> > from
>   ============
> Can you be slightly more specific?  How many?

Yes.  XML (Extensible Markup Language) is currently proposed to
incorporate certain entities by default.  They were included on the
rationale that Cougar will include them (I got the news from the W3C's
SGML WG, not the HTML WG).  There are a total of 222 entities,
including the already defined ones.

> > the Symbol font.
>
> What is "the Symbol font"?

Adobe Symbol font.

> I assume it has something to do with Microsoft's operating systems,
> but I am not sure now that I haven't used Windows in two months...

It's freely available on Mac, MS Windows, and X Windows.

> More specific question, do those entities have Unicode codepoints?

Yes, they all do.  But they don't all have 8859-x analogues.

> > I'm open to ideas on how to make *that* work...
>
> Display a standard symbol for "unsupported character", thereby
> giving the disenfrenchizers-of-terminal-users what they seem to
> want?

Probably. )-:  Or just continue the practice of displaying the
unresolved entity reference.

> There is something to swith to ALTCHARSET, usually used for
> line-drawing characters.  (as in Lynx popup boxes.)  Other than
> that, ncurses has no idea about charsets or fonsts AKAIK.

That would have to be what was used, if enabled.

Watch for the XML announcement at SGML '96, Wendesday next in Boston.

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM