Re: LYNX-DEV misguided ideas?

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV misguided ideas?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:32:39 +0100 (MET)

Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> In other news, word from the W3C is that Cougar is going to have a
> whole passel of new character entities, including a set available from
> the Symbol font.  I'm open to ideas on how to make *that* work...
> (Can curses change fonts?!?)

Yes, sort of, for this usage. There is an alternate charset capability.
Historically that is technical symbol font on VT100. There you have
greek letters and some math symbols, as well as arrows and characters for
table borders. The last grup Lynx uses allready if you eneble it in
userdefs.h. Since all terminals are not real VT100 or really compatible,
there is another capability which is used to tell where are coresponding
characters placed. For VT100 it looks like "aabbccdd ...". For some
other terminal it could be "aNbkcf ...". The first letter in a pair is
VT100 character in alternate set, and the other is coresponding character
of a particular terminal in alternate set.

If you don't have really compatible VT100, but you set your TERM variable
to vt100, curses routines will happily write out the VT100 character and
not the one your terminal needs, if it can show it at all.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden