Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:50:05 -0500 (EST)

> Most of the things people use JavaScript for are unnecessary (and
> sometimes annoying), though I have seen some good uses.  I, too,
> would be curious what non-graphical uses JavaScript is being used
> for.

        JavaScript is commonly used in frame-heavy sites, to make a
single click update multiple frames.  More relevant to Lynx, it can
also be used to fill in forms; on one site Magnet has done, choosing a
person's name in a <SELECT> box will automatically place the
corresponding values in the text fields for name, address, etc., which
can then be edited further.  However, 99% of the time it's used for
pointless graphical flourishes like slow fades and scrolling tickers.

        Microsoft tried to copy Netscape's implementation, but with
only moderate success.  For example, the address book example works in
Netscape but not in MSIE 3.0, because MSIE doesn't implement
everything; the code now checks if it's on Explorer and disables
itself.  I've never seen a formal language specification for
JavaScript, which makes reimplementing it difficult and likely to have
incompatibilities.

        From what I've seen of the language, it seems quite similar to
Python in some respects; possibly a JavaScript compatibility module
could be constructed on top of Python.  However, character styles,
style sheet handling, and the upgrade to wwwlib5 are probably more
important to Lynx's user base than JS support.

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
                http://www.magnet.com/~amk/

;