Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Sun4 won't compile
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:22:27 -0800 (PST)

> I don't think that we have any more SunOS 4 systems, so I am not going to
> be able to help out fixing up these problems any longer.

I appreciate what help you or anyone else on the list can provide, though.

> But I have a hypothesis.
>
> I suspect that on these systems, folk are picking up libcurses.a and
> libtermcap.a
> that contain the same functions.  Try removing the -ltermcap from the
> link line and see if that problem goes away.

No effect. :(  Removing -l/usr/5lib doesn't help, either.  Removing
-I/usr/5include is disastrous.  But you're right, it looks like
libcurses.a and libtermcap.a are the same file, in /usr/5lib:

% locate libcurses | xargs ls -l
-rw-r--r--   3 root     staff      242394 Oct 14  1994 /usr/5lib/libcurses.a
-rw-r--r--   3 root     staff      266514 Oct 14  1994 /usr/5lib/libcurses_p.a
-rw-r--r--   1 root     staff       52416 Oct 14  1994 /usr/lib/libcurses.a
% locate libtermcap | xargs ls -l
-rw-r--r--   3 root     staff      242394 Oct 14  1994 /usr/5lib/libtermcap.a
-rw-r--r--   3 root     staff      266514 Oct 14  1994 /usr/5lib/libtermcap_p.a
-rw-r--r--   2 root     staff        7522 Oct 14  1994 /usr/lib/libtermcap.a

> As for the strerror problem - sounds like a POSIX/ANSI C function being
> called .  Check the module in question and see if there's a DEFINE that
> needs to be defined or undefined to not call that function.

What module am I checking and what am I looking for?  The error occurs at
the final stage of the make, the lynx executable is being linked and
created.  There's no indication of where in that procedure it is dying.

Using the stock cc instead of gcc at that point results in the same error,
plus '____main' also not being found.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have to have -lresolv defined to avoid
the Alert! Unable to connect to remote host! message.  I just noticed that
one of my co-sysadmins installed a new resolver in late September, so our
system configuration *has* changed since I compiled 2.5FM in May.  Ugh.
I'll see what exactly he did and get back to you.

Mike
;
;