Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:44:09 -0700

Roger Hill <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Scott McGee wrote:
>
>> I encourage the use of a javascript script in all pages created by people on
>> our web site. The script (as seen below [unless I forget and send this off
>> without it]) automatically puts the last modified date on the page. It is
>> not visible to lynx users, of course, but that is a minor thing, and I prefer
>> to have it not visible rather than incorrect.
>>
>> Here's the HTML snippet that I use:
>>
>> Last modified
>> <script>
>>         var theDate = ""
>>         theDate = document.lastModified
>>         document.writeln(" ");
>>         document.write(theDate);
>>         document.write();
>> </script>
>>

>You could also try using PHP (http://www.vex.net/php) which displays both
>the number` of hits and date last modified in a form that Lynx CAN read.

Yeh, I could do the same thing by enabling server side includes, but then,
such methods have their own drawbacks. The so called server side scripting
languages, and any server side include solution had to problem of requiring
_parsing_ of any HTML file dilivered. At the moment, my choice is to not
incure this overhead.

There is no such thing as a perfect solution. All solutions have different
advantages and disadvantages. It happens that the javascript solution works
best on my site. Your results will likely vary.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,