Re: LYNX-DEV mail

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV mail
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:01:18 -0500 (EST)

Duncan Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Nov 1996 address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Actually, the msg in question is one generated by Lynx - not broadcast by
>> Unix.  I think _this_ is the question being asked earlier in the week by
>> a user (perhaps this one) about managing mail.
>
>Sorry, I should have clarified myself.  Its _similar_ to the one that a
>Unix system, broadcasts.  Out of curiosity, does Lynx pick up the Unix
>broadcast and pass it on, or does Lynx look in the mail spool?

        On Unix, Lynx looks for a mail spool and issues the "You have
mail" message on startup if it's there with a size.  It then checks and
resets the size on each cycle through the main loop, and issues a
"You have new mail" message if it increased relative to the previous
check.

        On VMS, it uses the VMS new mail utility, and issues a "You have
new mail" at startup if you do, and on cycles through the main look on
which you have gotten yet more new mail.

        The intent, if the user has mail privileges, is to set up a
'j'ump shortcut for invoking mail, not the baroque spawing to shell
and invoking of mail from the command line, that was suggested.
Study the documentation on setting up and using 'j'ump shorcuts.

                                Fote