Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:47:11 -0600 (CST)

You (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
> Filip M Gieszczykiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Greetings. Easy - with awk (or perl, but that doesn't work yet).
>
> Shudder! You mean you have your server run awk over the file before it
> serves it. That's even worse than server side includes that at least happen
> inside the server. Please tell me you don't shell out do to it!
> I guess, on a low volume site, that works just fine. I just don't want my
> server doing all that extra processing for EVERY FILE SERVED.
> Like I say, with 750 page being maintained by a couple dozen people, the only
> realistic way to maintain consistant use of a last modified date on pages is
> an automated one, and since I don't want to incure the overhead of server
> side includes, javascript is it.

Greetings. God no! They are run by (me) before they are placed on the
server. In fact, a local update script gathers up all the files that
changed and accumulates them for a batch upload.

I have close to 350 files, each about 15KB average. 200K hits/month,
about 1.5GB out the door... It works for me, and here's why:

* the files are processed into a personal "look'n'feel"
* they are checked for HTML syntax errors
* they allow me to change just a script to alter all files I have
* they allow for a cental clearinghouse - no "quirks"
* scripts additions add missing functionality to HTML that I
  hinted at here - they allow for an unified site with a bit
  of "harmony" not found on the web in general...
* lastly, ultimate power.. for better or for worse :-)

Why assume that I run the scripts in real-time? Pardon me saying
that but it's rather rash! (or do I really look that stupid :-)

Take care.
;
;