Re: LYNX-DEV mail

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV mail
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 06:23:39 -0800

> From address@hidden Fri Nov 15 17:24:08 1996
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 18:52:38 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
>
> If you configure userdefs.h appropriately (and I think it's the default),
> then lynx looks at the MAIL variable for changes.

Thank god, it is also in lynx.cfg.

------

Thus, AGAIN: sure would be nice to be able to have
my OWN lynx.cfg, real small, of JUST THOSE things
that I want to DIFFER between my own use and the
settings decided-upon by the sys-adm.

Someone replied to my previous suggestion of this idea
that these things could simply go into the user's ".lynxrc".

Fine, except that it makes that file HUGE if it
has everything.  But wait -- isn't this the SAME
situation as with ".cshrc" -- the first thing in
THAT (local) file is to "source" /cshrc, then
anything that comes afterwards in the local file
overrides what was done by /cshrc.

SUGGESTION: we GET RID of "lynx.cfg", and rename
it ".lynxrc".

THEN I am not sure of what to do:

. Have the user insert a "source /usr/local/.lynxrc" as
first stmt in HIS .lynxrc,

. Or have that automatically happen (not the insertion,
the reading of it).  But that allows less flexibility --

I vote for having the explicit statement.

;
;