Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines in HTML source, images without ALT

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Long lines in HTML source, images without ALT
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 13:04:15 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Hynek Med wrote:

> This is probably an old thing.. When viewing HTML source, lines longer
> than display width aren't seen. Can there be done something about it?

Well, this has been brought up numerous times, and the suggestion if/until
horizontal scrolling is implemented is to add a printer definition to
lynx.cfg to use your favorite pager:

PRINTER:Print to the screen using more:more %s:TRUE
PRINTER:Print to the screen using less:less %s:TRUE

> I'd also have one suggestion - when there's an image with a link without
> any ALT, what about making pseudo-alt from the filename? E.g.:
>
> http://pes.eunet.cz/udalosti.htm -> [udalosti]
> http://something.com/html/blah   -> [blah]
>
> It's surely more informative than [LINK]..

An interesting idea.  I don't know how much overhead it would add to the
code... It doesn't bother me that much since I run mine in advanced mode
now and see the URL...