LYNX-DEV getting timestamps (was:Lynx and JavaScript)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV getting timestamps (was:Lynx and JavaScript)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:16:59 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, David Woolley wrote:
>
> > The last updated date is available in the
> > HTTP headers, so an easier way of accessing the information in the browser
> > is what is really needed, if this really is a priority for significant
> > numbers of users.
>
> Yes, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that someone did a HEAD request for
> 2-6update.zip just for that purpose.  I think that Netscape 3.0 provides
> that info (following IE's lead) under Document Info.  I think it shows
> URL, last modified date and a couple of other things.  Not quite the same
> as Lynx's HEAD request (which shows all headers including Cookies, etc.)m
> but still helpful.

I find myself using the ']' key, in order to see a Last-Modified time,
quite often.

Sometimes I have wished that this information was available under
'=' INFO.  (Not wishing strong enough to actually try to change it,
ever since I discovered the ']' key...)

HEAD is especially useful for links to binary files.  I may come across
a link to a binary file, without enough information about last-modified
time and size (or there is info but I may not trust it, it could be
out of date or from a cached page).  ']' will usually show the LM time
and the size (as Content-Length).

  Klaus

;
;