Re: LYNX-DEV Helper apps ==> doc it in a Hints-n-tricks FAQ

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Helper apps ==> doc it in a Hints-n-tricks FAQ
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:49:39 -0800

Whatever this is about (I don't know anything about "metamail"),
this proposed trick, when and if lynx enables doing it,
needs to be documented somewhere -- it is hairy enough that
most users of lynx won't immediately figure out a use for
retaining the header info.

As I've said before, there needs to be SOME kind of documentation,
manual, HUGE FAq -- SOMETHING -- in even random order, detailing
lots and lots of "hints and tricks" that won't be obvious to
all the users (although they might be obvious to members
of THIS list):

> From address@hidden Sat Nov 16 10:53:17 1996
> From: address@hidden (Paul Gilmartin)
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Helper apps
>
> In a recent note, Wayne Buttles said:
>
> > Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:12:50 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > How do you set Lynx up to be able to use a helper app, but be able to save
> > the object later if you like it without downloading again?
> >
> My first thought was that you should make pipe-to-metamail one of your
> download options.  Then you could let metamail launch the helper
> app, and subsequently select another downloader without retransmitting.
>
> Alas, I realized this won't work.  The stream presented to the
> filter lacks the headers metamail requires.  This affirms my
> wish of yesterday that header information be made available to
> filters.
>
> So, narrowing the question:  Is there any way for a filter
> called from the Download or Print menu to access the headers?
> Might they be saved in a file with a path available as a
> substitution sequence in the command string (such as "%h"
> for headers and "%s" for source)?  Then I could
>
>    cat %h %s | metamail
>
> Outboarding the helper app selection to a utility such
> as metamail would be YA way to streamline lynx.
>
> -- gil
;
;