Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED mods

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED mods
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:15:49 +0900 (JST)

> testing the Klaus' DIRED mods, and they do seem to improve the behavior of
> DIRED at least on my linux box (working of HP-UX build as I type).  I
> *DID* however notice some odd behavior in DIRED.  Below are my comments on

Klaus did the fixes requested.  I have to confess though that I am guilty
of not testing DIRED enough to find the other lurking problems.  Normally
since I don't have permission outside of my home directory to do anything,
I never use the ../ link and never try to move directories.  Well, bad news!
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> or HP-UX.  You could tag but not untag.  It also seems to be a lot faster
> coming up with the initial directory.  The only problem I see with it in

Still seems sluggish to me if there are a lot of files in the directory, but
then everything is slow on my machine.

> quick perusal is that when you are in the root directory, you still get a
> ../ in the file list although Klaus removed the one at the top of the
> screen.  Trying to go above the root directory has strange effects on the

When I first do g => . => CR, both link 1 (at the top of the page) and link 2
(the first in the file list) are `../'.  If we want Unix-like display then
link 1 should be `.' and link 2 should be `..', although `.' is sort of sense-
less.  When I hit link 1 or 2, I go up one directory, but the name of the
directory is not correct, i.e., it should say `/home/kyoin/', but it says
`/home/kyoin/nelsonhe/..'.  Strangely when I go up two or three directories
the name becomes correct, namely `/home' and then `/'.  As Hiram says, `../'
is a link even in root.  Each time you hit `../' in root, another `../' is
added to the string of the directory name.

The real problem came when I was testing the m)ove function on tagged
directories in a directory outside of $HOME.  Lynx crashed with the following
messages, 1) When I pressed return without adding anything to the prompt about
where to move:

mv: can't mv directories across file systems

A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.6

[...]

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

and 2) When I input `../' to the prompt where to move:

mv: /home/kyoin/hogehoge/: rename: Permission denied

A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.6

[...}

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Unfortunately, this behavior is not consistant over all file systems.  It
seems to only happen in the /home directory, which is mounted on another
machine.  (I'm not at all sure of the terminology.  All I know is that
df gives the following result.  The first two are on `ws01'.)
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a              15007    4065    9442    30%    /
/dev/sd0g             152047  133901    2942    98%    /usr
ws02:/home           1278086  656626  493652    57%    /home

Yes, I'd have to agree that DIRED needs work.  Still, I'm game to having the
mods in the the update file set.  Isn't that what development's about?  __Henry
;
;