Re: LYNX-DEV nifty "]" cmd -- BUT LOOK:

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nifty "]" cmd -- BUT LOOK:
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:10:12 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Klaus> Anyway, you must be using an ancient Lynx version.  2.5 and
>     Klaus> 2.6 throw the garbage away.  *Tell* those folks at Netcom
>     Klaus> to upgrade - after all you pay them money, right?
>
>   Uh, not my copy of 2.6 with SSL patches.

OK, neither does my copy of Lynx2.6, without SSL patches, when I connect
directly to the HTTP servers.  When I go through a CERN http_proxy, as
I usually do, a non-empty message body after the HTTP headers is dumped
on the floor by the proxy.  I was mistakenly assuming that it was Lynx
suppressing display of the superfluous (and protocol-violating) data.

I should not have assumed that D. Combs was using an old Lynx version
based on my unverified understanding.  So Netcom is not as bad w.r.t.
offering an up-to-date Lynx version as I thought.  There is therefore no
need for D. Combs to tell them to upgrade.

Anyway, as Fote pointed out, garbage data in response to a HEAD request
(and anything except HTTP headers *is* garbage there) can be 'z'apped,
as usual.

  Klaus

;
;