Re: LYNX-DEV Lotz of questions ?????

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lotz of questions ?????
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 20:32:50 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 address@hidden wrote:

> I am looking for good documentation & help resources for using Lynx.  I
> am comfortable using Lynx, but the system administrators seem to be too
> buisy to provide documentation/questions.  The provider I'm on has a lot
> of the pages and help files online, but it seems that everytime I try to
> access one I end up getting a 404-Not Found error message.

Cannot really call them online then :)

> This is
> frustrating because there is no way for me to find out the documentation
> online.  I do not have a user account at the local university (UALR) but
> on the Agora server.  If I had a basic shell account and could get the
> basic $ prompt I'm sure I could find this out, but on Agora the !
> command is disabled so I can't get to the $ to look at the help files.
> Can I set up a customized .cfg file for myself in Lynx ?

If your account on that "Agora" machine is set up to only give you
Lynx as a menu system, but no access to a unix (or VMS) shell prompt,
There isn't anything we can do about that.  No, you won't be able to
maintain your own lynx.cfg file, since that would probably make all
restrictions imposed by the admins on your Lynx use impossible.

The best thing you can do in this situation is bug the admins to keep
the system working and up to date, and to keep the help files accessible.
They may have moved some files around and may not even have noticed
that Lynx now cannot find those files any more, so send them a mail.
Or you could try to get an account somewhere else, whithout restrictions
on shell use.

In the meantime, IF the 'g' key is not disabled in your setup,
you can 'g'oto

 http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx/2.6/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html

for online help that isn't offline.  Or, if that is too much to type in,
'g'oto

 http://lynx.browser.org/

and follow the right links :)
Once you are there, you may be able (depending on how your account is
set up) to save the location in a bookmark file (normally you use 'a' key
for that), so that you can later visit it again ('v' key) more easily.

Note that some of the info in those online docs may not exactly apply
for you, if the Lynx version running on "Agora" is too old.  (You
can find the version on the 'O'ptions screen or the '=' info screen.)

   Klaus

;
;