Re: LYNX-DEV pardon my french

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV pardon my french
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:16:07 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, David Combs wrote:

> Maybe you have a better version of lynx than I do, but
> here is what I get via lynx 2.6:

A lot of it has to do with your terminal.  Via most PC-based terminals, I
get all kinds of characters instead of accent marks, but with MSKermit,
all is well.

> Here is the output:

Guess what?  The accent marks appear just fine in Pine on a vt220 terminal
in the stuff you posted.

> And here is the html-source that generates it:

Yes, the HTML source is doing what it should.  Using the entities such as
é is the only way to portably get show the accent marks provided
the terminal supports it.  Lynx is doing its job, but the terminal doesn't
always conform.

> NOW, please tell me how to get lynx to show this stuff "correctly"
> in seven-bit ascii.  Or are you claiming that the above printout
> IS "correct".  (If so, then I guarantee you my french isn't good
> enough to be able to read it, and I for one would MUCH prefer
> seeing my uppercaseify-hack's output.)

The major thing to be concerned with is that Lynx's charset setting in the
options menu agrees with the terminal's setting.  A few months ago I was
playing around with KOI-8 stuff and found that I had to load MSKermit's
KOI support, but once I had done that, the pages looked perfect.

If you are on a PC and are doing multiple languages, I highly recommend
MSKermit.  It could use a good dialer and built-in ZModem, but it has a
wide variety of emulations, and its VT emulations (to 320) are nearly
flawless (i.e. they even work with DEC machines :) ).