Re: LYNX-DEV From Ethiopia Again:- UTF-8 and Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV From Ethiopia Again:- UTF-8 and Lynx
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:37:37 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 address@hidden wrote:

>      If the FAQ could be sent to me I would be extremely grateful.

Well, as is currently being discussed the "FAQ" is really just a
collection of links into the lynx-dev archives.  There is not really
anything that can be mailed.  There USED to be a couple of places that
would allow you to "browse" the web with e-mail, but I'm not sure if they
still exist.

>      A second question concerns UTF-8 encoding.  We are experimenting with
>      Ethiopic script under Linux which supports UTF-8.  But with Lynx many
>      characters will vanish.  I tried a number of the ISO settings but none
>      worked.  I think any setting that is "8 Bit Safe" should work with
>      UTF-8.  Do I need to recompile?  Perhaps the FAQ answers this.

Try turning on Raw 8-bit mode right below the character set selection on
the options screen and see if that helps.  If anyone is familiar with
UTF-8, it might be something to consider adding to Lynx.