Re: LYNX-DEV CGI redirection problems

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CGI redirection problems
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:26:58 -0500 (EST)

"John N. Underwood" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
>
>> If the URL you're redirecting "is a normal web page, not something that can
>> accept POST data" why do you use POST? You should use GET instead.
>
>I posted the URL of a simple example. It's point was to demonstrate
>this behaviour. The CGI which I use is much more complicated. Only
>after handling the form contents does it issue the redirect, and
>then only sometimes. This is why I use the POST method. One can see
>the CGI at http://www.intercenter.net/~jnu/webchat/ . It is a simple
>chat room program compatible with both lynx and other web browsers.
>
>> By the way, with the 11/13 modifications of Foteos Macrides Lynx 2-6
>> prompts:
>>
>> Redirection of POST content. P)roceed, see U)RL, use G)ET or C)ancel
>>
>> If you press G Lynx will get the page using GET. And your page will be
>> correctly displayed.
>
>Thank you. That sounds like it will solve my problem. Now I'll
>just wait for it to be incorporated into the development code
>(hopefully).

        It *has* been added to both the Composite update file set
(lynx2-6update.zip) and to the LynxRP development code.

        But equally important is to read the sections on redirection
in the HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 specs, both of which are accessible via
the Lynx v2.6 online 'h'elp, to understand that your script's 302
reply status is wrong, and why you should change it to return 303.

        The problem you are having is discussed *explicitly* in
those specs, accessible via the Lynx v2.6 online 'h'elp.

                                Fote