Re: LYNX-DEV Odd rendering in Lynx 2.6

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Odd rendering in Lynx 2.6
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:49:32 -0500 (EST)

Andrew Brennan <address@hidden> wrote:
>   Anyone care to look at this?
>
>       http://www.allegheny.edu/shp/gradapply.html
>
>   ... then, '/' 'admshsh' to approach the problem.  The three addresses
>   the last one causes an odd display when selected.  The HTML doesn't
>   appear to have any problems that I can see - the selected text should
>   not include the ' (SPH) Return to top of page.' that follows the </a>
>   tag.  Unfortunately, it does appear to be selected (not that it makes
>   problems - it's just odd).

        Look at it again, more carefully:

<A NAME="MOREINF"><DL><DT>For additional information, contact:<P></A>
^^                ^^^^                                           ^^^^
<DD>Office of Admissions and Recruitment
[...]
</DL>
^^^^^

You have created an utterly invalid, interdigitated tag situation for
A and DL, both of which have required start and end tags, such that Lynx
must substitute what's expepected, throwing off the parsing of A end
tags.

        Even more important than just looking at the HTML to see whether
it "appears to have any problems", submit the markup to a validator.
All you needed to do was press the online 'h'elp key and select either
the KGV or WebTechs validation services.  You've been on this list a
long time, Andrew, and have read numerous messages here on the need
to validiate HTML, and on how to do, conveniently, via the Lynx online
'h'elp.  So why didn't you do that, Andrew?.  Really, help me to understand
why you didn't do that.

                                Fote