Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:21:54 -0500 (EST)

Joe Kincaid <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I would like to step forward and volunteer for the project
>of compiling an FAQ and/or a printed/bound copy of a manual for
>Lynx. Being a mathematician by trade, I am by no means an expert
>with Lynx/Un*x/C, etc, but I do have experience and skills in
>technical writing and typing (using TeX) so I believe I could
>make a contribution here. I also have been known to read a
>computer manual cover to cover in a weekend and actually enjoy
>it, so I think I fit this task well.
>
>(  Actually, I had decided sometime ago that this was an area where
>I might be able to make a contribution, but I didn't want to step
>forward until I had a better idea of what was going on and what I
>was capable of. )
>
>   There has been enough traffic on this list about tricks, FAQ's
>and FAA's and a manual, that I thought I should make my intentions
>known. I would, of course, welcome any assistance or collaboration
>that anyone would like to put forward. My plan at this time is:
>
>   * Read the existing documentation forward/backward/etc.
>   * Locally archive all "tricks/tips" posted to lynx-dev (I have
>     already begun this for user-level "tricks/tips".)
>   * Generate an outline of an FAQ and a manual and post here
>     for comments/criticisms.
>   * Make a rough draft available for lynx-dev people to download and
>     make comments/criticisms.
>   * Make the final version available for anyone to use in as many
>     different file formats as possible starting with .TEX, .DVI and .PS
>
>My personal experience with lynx (besides being a user) is limited to
>installing my own copy of lynx-2.5-FM a year ago so that I could use the
>LYNXEXEC feature in a captive account on VMS. This allowed my students
>to use a hypertext tutorial I wrote in HTML and DCL. Since I have never
>attempted to hack the code itself or even use a patch, there are many
>areas where I have no first-hand experience. I will be relying on comments
>from others and the existing documenation for help here.
>
>Any responses to this would be welcome.

        Wonderful!!  Will the base draft be in HTML and accessible via
a URL?  One tip when collecting up info from the non-HTML doc files,
e.g., INSTALLATION, etc., and the "self documentation" in userdefs.h,
lynx.cfg, etc., is to refer to them as the place to look for the most
current information, since that's where any new stuff or changes will
first be documented in conjunction with adding the new stuff or making
the changes.

                                Fote