LYNX-DEV http://www.excite.com/Info/add_url.html

From: Oedipus Wrecked
Subject: LYNX-DEV http://www.excite.com/Info/add_url.html
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:37:25 -0500 (EST)

aloha, y'all!

has anyone ever tried using the above URL to register an URL of one's own
to the excite database from within lynx?  well, you can't...  lynx26
returns an:

UNMODIFIABLE form text field.  Use UP or DOWN arrows or tab to move off.

status-line error message...  and one can only (as the status line message
says) move off of the text-entry field with a directional keystroke, as it
will not accept keyboard input...

here's the offending code:

<P>This form allows you to add a web site to Excite's constantly refreshed
database of 50 million URLs. If you have any questions about adding your site,
please read <A href="/Info/listing.html">getting listed on Excite</A>.

<P>

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi/info.cgi" ENCTYPE=multipart/form-data>
<B>Enter the URL of the web site you'd like us to add:</B><P>
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="url" VALUE="http://"; SIZE=44>
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="MessageType" VALUE="addsite">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="path" VALUE="http://www.excite.com/";>
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="look" VALUE="excite">
<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="Action" VALUE="Send">
<INPUT TYPE="reset">
</FORM>

--- end offending HTML ---

what exactly is it about the above that causes lynx26 to freak?

i emailed excite about the problem on october 31, and just received the
following reply from them today: