LYNX-DEV Securing lynx 2.6 for use as a shell

From: Sean Harp
Subject: LYNX-DEV Securing lynx 2.6 for use as a shell
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:39:32 -0500

Can you point me to a document that describes how to secure lynx so that
users absolutely CANNOT run /bin/sh from within lynx?  We've secured our
lynx 2.6 copy as best as we know how, but users are still able to fork a
shell from within lynx and then arbitrarily telnet anywhere they want
to.  We've disabled the editor, jump, "!", and every other option that
we feel could possibly let a user get out of lynx, but it still doesn't
work.

Now, this may be a stupid question and it could be possible that lynx
simply cannot be secured.

Sean Harp
;
;