Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx "bug"?

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx "bug"?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:58:35 -0700

Some people on the list do actually use PC's, so let me make a suggestion. I
have a laptop provided by my employer, and it is a nice setup complete with
Netmanage's Xoftware, and X-Windows server, so I can just run an Xterm on the
UNIX box we use as a web server and have it displayed on my PC. I can run
emacs and it pops up a seperate window complete with syntax coloring compliments
of the emacs html-helper-mode.

All this said, I have started to use a PC based authoring tool I first heard
of here. It is called Webber. It is VERY good, and not only understands the
DTDs, but validates against them. I normally use the 3.2 DTD but it also has
Netscape, IE, 3.0, and 2.0 DTDs. Each of those also comes in both a recommended
and depricated version. It features the ability to download new DTDs too.

Other nice things about it are the fact that it proivides "assistants" to help
with generation of things like anchors, images, lists, tables, and frames. Has
a NICE user interface that makes HTML coding very easy, can be configured to
automatically add a doctype or timestamp if desired. You can add custom markup
to the point and click GUI interface (so you could even add lynx preferred or
lynx specific markup to be able to use it easily).

Like I say, the real selling point for me is the button that verifies the HTML
agains the selected DTD (I'd like to see them change it to verify against the
DTD listed in the doctype instead, but I'll take what I can get). It is just
a click of a button and watch it verify. Another button will load the file into
a browser (you can specify browsers for different DTDs too).

Anyway, webber is shareware and costs, I beleive, $30 to register. If you don't
use it yourself, encourage all you PC using friends and coworkers to use it so
they can actaully write valid HTML for a change!

(Note: Despite the commercial sounding tone of this, I have no affiliation with
the makers of webber [other than satisfied customer] and no vested intrest in
having others use their product [other than a desire to see more validated code
out there].)

Oh, you can get Webber at http://www.csdcorp.com/webber.htm!

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,