Re: LYNX-DEV Securing lynx 2.6 for use as a shell

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Securing lynx 2.6 for use as a shell
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:07:28 +0100 (MET)

Sean Harp wrote:
> Can you point me to a document that describes how to secure lynx so that
> users absolutely CANNOT run /bin/sh from within lynx?  We've secured our
> lynx 2.6 copy as best as we know how, but users are still able to fork a
> shell from within lynx and then arbitrarily telnet anywhere they want
> to.  We've disabled the editor, jump, "!", and every other option that
> we feel could possibly let a user get out of lynx, but it still doesn't
> work.
>
> Now, this may be a stupid question and it could be possible that lynx
> simply cannot be secured.

I didn't look at the sources, but Lynx should fork off the program whose
name is in SHELL environment variable (on Unix, at least).
If it doesn't do this, it's a bug. If it does, you can put there whatever
you want.

If SHELL variable does not exist, it should then look up the passwd file
for a shell.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden