Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx question

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx question
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 05:22:48 -0800

> From address@hidden Thu Nov 21 20:11:50 1996
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:55:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>
> The Wizard 21-Nov-1996 1053 <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I am wondering if it is possible to run Lynx on VMS without having TCP on
> >the
> >VMS machine.  This would be for viewing local HTML pages.
>
>       No.  It's compiled with socket library functions in the code, and
> thus must be linked with a TCP/IP library whether you are planning to use
> those functions or not.  It in theory could be #ifdef'ed to exclude those
> functions if you don't intend to use them, but that would be a major
> undertaking involving a large number of the C modules.
>
>       There used to be a DECNET (instead of TCP/IP) build for the
> libwww of that sort, but it wasn't maintained, and the LYfoo.c modules
> all assume TCP/IP.
>
>                               Fote

IF that library is never actually called if Lynx is used only
locally (not even to initialize), then would a stub
of all the entry points (each with err msg) suffice?

Even if it did make the one initialize call (I'm making
this up; I don't know the code), could that be faked
via returning "success" after doing nothing (eg any returned
or modified pointers simply pointing to null)?

If it would work, certainly is simple enough, and might
get lots of use by people without net access, viewing things
from cd's, floppies, etc (more and more doc is in html form).

;
;