Re: LYNX-DEV broken behavior in current patched lynx executable and refe

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV broken behavior in current patched lynx executable and reference.com
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:53:04 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>Platform: SPARC/Solaris 2.4/Sun's compiler
>Lynx configuration: Lynx 2-6, Fote's patches from 11/22, RP's color patch
>solaris2 ncurses and RP's color options selected:
>[...]
>Behavior problem.
>
>I login to my registered Reference.com account and select one of my queries.
>The HTML has one increasingly annoying bad behavior - the BASE tag is
>before the <HTML>...</HTML> structure; some one here on the mailing list
>is apparently using the same software, because his web page has the
>same thing.

        Are you sure the BASE tag is there in the original?  Lynx
adds it when you toggle to source ('\') or 'd'ownload, and you're
supposed to move it down yourself if you save it to disk or your
terminal.

>There's no DOCTYPE, and I am not sure what DTD reference.com thinks they
>are using, so validation is difficult.  Plus, they use the increasingly
>annoying URL parm passing structure of &variable=value.
>
>When I start moving down the page, I get to a form with the following
>format.  As I move down thru the fields, lynx stops at the HelpWindow
>mode and doesn't display me moving the cursor farther.
>
>Even worse, when I go in and tell lynx to move me directly to the
>bottom of the entire page, lynx terminates with error; however, no
>core dump was generated.
>
>If someone out there is also using reference.com, would you let me
>know if you have found a patch for lynx 2.6 to allow me to use reference.com
>again?
>
><form method="get" action=
>"/cgi-bin/pn/go" target="_self">
>[...]

        I didn't have any problem with that form when I tried it, and
the bad behavior you describe should never happen, so the patching you
did must have created a problem.  The LynxRP patches haven't been
updated since October, and might not still be compatible with the
update/mods replacement files.

                                Fote