Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML at www.buchkatalog.de, please help

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bad HTML at www.buchkatalog.de, please help
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:09:31 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Michael Lang wrote:
>
>> I go to this address, select the first link and then enter DHV at the
>> Verlag text entry field. Then, I select suchen (German for search). I
>> get lynx's bad HTML message. Could someone of you take a look at this?
>
>I did.

        Me too.

>Whatever it is that is returned as a result of such a search, its isn't
>what it claims to be:
>
>   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.0//EN" "html.dtd">
>
>Well, at least the "Kinder, Gentler Validator" doesn't think so, and
>didn't react too gently..

        No way it's DTD HTML 3.0.

>(As a side note, I agree with Larry Virden about the annoyance factor
>of those invalid entity-looking parameters in search URLs.
>I wonder what those people will do if one day some new entities,
>like e.g. &ii; are introduced into HTML.)

        If they don't use ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data", they should
convert to ENCTYPE="application/sgml-form-urlencoded" so that ';'
instead of '&' is used as the name=value separator, as was recommended
way back at HTML 2.0.  Unfortunately, Lynx is the only client with
recognizes ENCTYPE="application/sgml-form-urlencoded".  Sigh...

>> DHV is a publishing house and buchkatalog is a database of books. I'd
>> like to look in the database for books from DHV. I get a result, but I
>> think because of the bad HTML, I don't get everything.
>
>I think you see everything alright.  But the page (what is returned by a
>search) contains a <form> with stuff that is invalid in a form,
>effectively ending the form prematurely (as part of Lynx's error
>recovery).
>
>You just cannot submit the form, as a result your "Warenkorb" (shopping
>basket) stays empty, as a result the Verlag loses you as a Kunde -
>there is justice, after all...

        It has and extra </STRONG>, with moves all the end tags up one
due to SGML parser substitution of what is expected.  It's the same
kind of HTML error in that markup as the extra </BLOCKQUOTE> in the
FORM Tom would like to, but can't, use.

        If one toggles on trace mode and then submits or reloads the
the form, the SGML parser will report that (Found </FOO> when expecting
</BLAH>, using </BLAH>).

        The statusline message says:  Bad HTML! Use -trace to diagnose.
If Michael had done what Lynx told him to do, he would have had the
diagnosis right off the bat.  Sigh...

                                Fote