LYNX-DEV strange behaviour

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: LYNX-DEV strange behaviour
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:46:23 -0700

I just made a small change to the lynx FAQ that I have been working on
(http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/lynxfaq.html#glossary) and in testing it, found
a behaviour of lynx that I find strange. I am not saying it is incorrect,
but it did suprise me.

If you go to the URL above, and move the selection down to any of the alphabetic
links to the glossary script, you will see that the letter and the space after
it are highlighted (reverse vidio on my system) but that the space before the
letter is not. I had just changed the HTML markup to include the two spaces
around the letters inside the anchor (<A>) tag, and tested it locally with
netscape and found the results pleasing in that it allows a greater area to
select with the mouse. That isn't a consideration for Lynx, but I felt that
having the spaces highlighted would not matter. Having just one, however, does
look less desirable than I would like.

Oh, for those who wonder, and to help set a trend, I am on a Sun Solaris 2.4
system, using an X-TERM displayed on my PC using Netmanage's Xoftware X
server for w95 with my TERM environment variable set to XTERM. I am using a
release version of Lynx 2.6 with no patches applied.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,