Re: LYNX-DEV multiple bookmark support and popup/radion_button in 'o'pti

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV multiple bookmark support and popup/radion_button in 'o'ptions. 0.09
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:25:37 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I started out with Fil's patch ;( which unfortunately was 07,
> because Fil didn't replace it with 09 ); so it would be like what
> people who were using that had become accustomed to, but it was
> crashing left and right when I tried it, wasn't taking all kinds of
> things about security, and factors associated with 'a'dding or 'r'emoving
> links across bookkmarks, into account, etc.  So I was modifying it
> literally for several days before putting it out for further testing
> by others, and don't think it should be in the Composite yet (didn't
> think you'd be updating that this quickly 8-).  I've been doing more
> fixes and mods of it today, which I'll put out tonight.

Well, I saw some of the other stuff that you'd stuck in and liked it.  I
REALLY like the extra info on the '=' screen!  I also like the new README
and DESC and such.  I do have one change to the README I still need to
send you... (I'll e-mail it to you to let you take a look and see what you
think.)  I also liked your tweaks of the rcfile stuff, and wanted to get
that in the composite set since that'e what I originally intended...

>       I encountered that "line #521" bug right off the bat (i.e.,
> it crashed as soon as I tried it with the original patch 8-), and what
> I put out yesterday doesn't crash with any of the exercising I've done
> so far, so try to figure out where it's happening for you, Lester, in
> case the problem is still there in the code I put out tonight, but
> doesn't show up here.

Ok, I'll play with it later tonight or something...

>       I'm going to get rid of that prompting instead of showing the
> multiple bookmark menu in ADVANCED mode.  If you don't have multiple
> bookmarks, just turn the feature off via the 'o'ptions menu, and if
> you do have them, the menu scheme is now efficient enough that I'd
> just as soon see it each time, as with NOVICE or INTERMEDIATE mode.
> I didn't change the sizing logic, though, so that round-off variation
> is still there.

Since you cleaned up the 'o'ptions screen, it looks like you may have
freed up an extra line...  If so, an option for whether to display the
menu or not could be added...

As to efficeincy, I noticed that there are still a few unecessary screen
redraws when viewing a bookmark file and adding to another one or in the
case of the failed 'r'emove I mentioned earlier.

>       In any case, use your own judgement, Hiram, in what you put
> into the Composite, and I'll let you know when the version here is
> stable enough to include, if you want that.  Perhaps Fil might want
> to look at it too (tomorrow, so it has the new stuff I'm doing today),
> for comparison.

Well, if you think you could get a version with everything MINUS the
multi-bookmark support, then I could throw that in the composite, and
leave the multi-bookmarks for testing.

>       I think it was a good start on Fil's part, but even being
> intimately familiar with all of the Lynx code, I'm having a hard time
> making everything that needs to be taken into account actually taken
> into account.  Once I've done that, I'll then work on making it yet
> more efficient.

Understood.  I'll take a look at the stuff and try to determine what's
going on and maybe tweaking a few things here or there.

>       I guess 'cuz Rob hasn't updated LynxRP since October, it's
> natural for the Composite to start being treated as the "development"
> code set, and I certainly don't want to discourage Hiram from actually
> doing code development instead of just consolidating the stable stuff,
> but could the Composite stay the "clear bug fixes and really stable
> enhancements for both Unix and VMS" (nothing is ever "perfect" of
> course 8-),

I agree.  That's why I didn't integrate the mods in the composite set yet.
I build the mods on both a Linux box at home and the HP-UX system at
school and verify that it builds and works before integrating them (I test
it pretty superficially usually, but I'm picky enough I usually catch
things. :) )

> and perhaps Hiram could figure out a way to overlay "needs
> more testing but builds on both Unix and VMS" stuff on top of that
> (e.g, start up a Hiram's mods patch or replacement set, which similarly
> gets added to the Composite when it's been field tested enough to appear
> stable)?  That's just a suggestion, and if it's too complicated, forget
> it. :) :) :)

Who knows.  The semester's nearly over.  I might get some time over the
holidays to do some real work on the code.  There's a number of things I
have planned to do... but never the time to do them... :(

>       I think it's really important, though, in the long run, for
> people to do some "back and forthing" themselves about their mods,
> or we'll never again have a reasonably large group of people who
> are reasonably knowedgeabe about the actual Lynx API and code, and
> not just proposing more "angels" that "somebody" should fit onto the
> head of that "pin". :) :) :)

Well, do you feel that's not going on, or just not enough?  I've seen
several comments here and there about various patches, and I posted my
problems on here for you and Filip to have a look at since I didn't have
time myself...