Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and MS-DOS terminals

From: Mike Brown
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and MS-DOS terminals
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:47:38 -0800 (PST)

Georges KO wrote:
> I have patched Lynx 2.6 to  add an "ISO Latin 1 w/MS-DOS" display
> character   set  to have the   accented  characters correctly displayed,
> as well as a key to switch between "ISO Latin 1",  "ISO Latin 1
> w/MS-DOS" and "Taipei (Big5)".
>
>       For those interested, the patch is at
> http://mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:52021/~m52021/mslynx.html.

Could you explain better the advantages of this patch?

The "PC Character Set" option included with Lynx 2.6 is intended to do
the necessary translation to display as much of the ISO Latin 1 character
set as possible under the PC codepage 437.  The patch at the URL you gave
says that it is adding this functionality which already exists.

Is the PC Character Set option insufficient for translations on your
machine?  I notice your domain is .tw -- perhaps your machine has a
different codepage 437 than North American market PC's?  Codepage 437 does
not have all of the character bitmaps needed to reproduce the entire ISO
Latin 1 set; some approximations are required.

As for the other part of the patch, I can see how the convenience of using
control keys to toggle between different character sets is probably more
fun than going to the options screen, but you're probably using 2 more
keys than you need to.  1 key could probably be made toggle among the
whole range of character sets -- such a patch would probably be useful
enough to the Lynx community that it could be incorporated into the
official code.

>       Thanks  for still continuing to  maintain Lynx! By the way, is
> there a   way to compile  it under  MS-DOS? With  DJGCC? Maybe just to
> browse  local  files? I  remember to  see a few   years  ago an MS-DOS
> version?

This is in the FAQ -- press '?' from within Lynx and select Lynx FAQ.

Mike
;
;