Re: LYNX-DEV Re: FAQ update

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: FAQ update
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 22:46:42 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

> I looked at the "keystroke" section you have fleshed out.
>
> 1.  So far it ignores links-are-numbered mode.

Ooops. So does my revised version I just posted. Thanks for pointing
that out.

> 2.  The language "The definitive list of key definitions" is
> going to lead people to misunderstand.  The key/function bindings
> in the list you have linked to is quicksand, not something one
> can count on.  Only your dynamic K)eymap command is definitive,
> because the keystrokes are totally re-programmable.

That's my fault. And you're right. Perhaps it could be changed to "The
default list of key definitions" and include a remark about the "k"
key on that page.

> 2.b.  Are y'all planning to take the existing help files under your
> wing?  There are lots of modest reforms one could apply to the
> h)elp, like cross-linking between the related topics in the
> keystroke paragraph and the command-line paragraph, where the
> same degree of freedom (e.g. IMAGE_LINKS) is affected.

It really is my intention to read/revise the existing documentation to
build this FAQ. It may not seem like it at this time, because I wanted to
start with a true FAQ/FAA structure whose content was derived from the
other documents. As I write my pages, I am frequently bouncing around the
current documentation looking up answers, etc.

Also, the cross-linking is important to me. It is this potential of
cross-linking that makes hypertext so powerful. Of course, it also can
lead to navigation/maintenance headaches (it's a poor atom blaster that
can't point both ways), but if we work to insure the coherency of the
document as you pointed out previously, then I think we'll be OK.

> 3.  Miscellaneous, potentially obscure points:
>
>       What link the cursor winds up on
>               when using text-based motion commands
>               when moving as a result of a WhereIs (/) query
>       analogy between anchor-to-anchor navigation
>       and hit-to-hit motion via n)ext-hit after
>       a WhereIs

I'm sorry. This is too obscure for me. I know what you are referring to,
but I don't know what the Q/A would be here.

>       The navigation paragraph needs to warn the user that all these keys
>       _usually_ work, but that when they stop working you need to
>       (navigation out of form traps).

Good point. I have a question in my recent posting that reads "I was filling
out a form and had trouble with...". This is where I intended to answer
that question, but I think you are right here. We should have a footnote
of sorts to the other answers explaining that these keys don't always work.
Scott, can you add that?

> 4.  The interactive manipulation of user options is a major topic
> I don't see in your (top-level) list. -- linked to offline
> manipulation of lynx.cfg and at compile time.

This should probably be in the installation section with cross-references
to it from areas that are affected by it.

Great comments! Thanks for the feedback (including previous letters I'm
still digesting :-). Keep those cards and letters coming!

Joe
-----
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe. -- Galileo
KSU - Mathematics Department   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;
;