Re: LYNX-DEV Why, thank *YOU*  !

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Why, thank *YOU*  !
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 02:19:08 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:

> Greetings. Have a look at this page and then check the source:
>
> http://www.euronet.nl/users/ragman/robot1.html
>
> It's the end of WorldWW as we know it..

And while we are on that topic...

To all friends of bogus Web sites I recommend a visit to
(not that they are getting that quite right everywhere), special charsets
are not needed for the home page in English.

Everybody is capable of creating invalid HTML pages (just throw in some
tags closing elements that were never opened etc.), but these folks
show some inventiveness, and really do an outstanding job of collecting
a number of mistakes on limited space.

Markup that cannot be validated?  Of course you can find it here.
Links that don't work because of bogus "../" prefix?  They have it.
Invalidly redirected POST requests?  It's all there on one page (on one
screenfull of Lynx display, actually).  Well and let the following two lines
just speak for themselves:

<! following line commented out by Nathan to insert new webtamer pages>
<!A HREF="press/wt1.htm"><!WebTamer><!/font></A>

Now, if you were wondering why the words in that selection box (all within
the first screenfull...) have their first letter cut off, lessee...
Yep, these people *are* pioneers: their lines do not end with CR, or LF, nor
CRLF (all of which Lynx can deal with), they are using CRCRLF instead.

Just for completeness, they also throw in a bogus &#151; (which sits
particularly well in a document which declares itself to be
"charset=UNICODE-1-1-UTF-8"...)

Now, is this just an especially unlucky case of an author who fell
victim to not understanding his authoring tool?  Afraid not.
These folks MAKE AUTHORING TOOLS, which they advertise as "WYSIWYG".

<BLOCKQUOTE>
     [34]Promote world peace or expand your business. Use Multilingual
        Publisher and Multilingual Mosaic to get your message across
                                world-wide.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right.

I did not see any qualification of that on their pages, like "...get your
messsages across world-wide to other users who have also bought into our
hype".  (But I noted that the page providing "Real-time fixes and help"
was last updated nearly five months ago.)

I cannont comment on the quality or usability of their editing tools
etc. as such; but what gets on the Web as a result of using them doesn't
exactly seem to promote global understanding in the best way...

Just thought Netscape shouldn't get all the blame.
Lynx is doing an excellent job of making the best of whatever it is fed,
sometimes I think it is a wonder that it displays anything at all.

   Klaus

;
;