Re: LYNX-DEV ANNOUNCE: lynx2.6 chartrans

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ANNOUNCE: lynx2.6 chartrans
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:25:32 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Klaus Weide wrote:
> >
> >   The code is available from

> Wow! I hope I'll have time next week to see what you've done.

And I hope you will contribute some translation tables in the appropriate
format (which I hope you will figure out easily) :).  For example you
mentioned that there are standards with a well-defined one-to-one
mapping between iso-8859-2 and cyrillic characters (for some languages).
Using such a mapping for displaying cyrillic text in (e.g.) iso-8859-2
would just require the right table.  (The other direction would be
slightly more difficult, since currently for ASCII chars the translation
is skipped [cheating for speed].)

Don't be mislead if, when you first try my code, your name comes up
correctly, Dražen Kačar :).  I added those two latin-2
entities just for you :) (actually, for testing), but not a full set of
latin-2 entities or latin-1 replacements for latin-2 chars.

> I hope to finish
> my assignments in a day or two and since my immediate superior goes to
> honeyweek, I'll have 3 or 4 days free. My current problem is Solaris 2.6,
> the beast will have 64-bit pointers, but 32-bit longs. I don't know if
> it's relevant to Lynx, but if it is, there is time untill May next year to
> prepare things.

As long as longs are at least 32-bit, and shorts are 16-bit, the chartrans
code _should_ not create any additional problems...

> > Output of raw UTF8 (needs of course a termina which understands it)
> > seems to work better, but not perfect, with Slang.  This is a problem
> > beyond Lynx, a curses replacement which understands multibyte characters
> > properly would be needed to avoid putting characters in the wrong screen
> > position. (Does anyone know of such a beast?)
>
> I think native curses on Solaris can. I'll check.

I would also be interested to hear what other terminal environments can
understand UTF8.  So far I only know about the Linux console.

   Klaus

;
;