Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 02:07:36 +0100 (MET)

Klaus Weide wrote:

> When I ran into that, I noticed that the directiory structure on the
> site pointed to had changed.  Just browse through the FTP directories on
> unicode.org, and you will probably find what you want.

Okay...

> > There's one wrong thing with Lynx entities table (before your changes).
[...]

> So how about sending a patch?

I will, there was no point in doing that earlier, nobody is using Latin 2
entities anyway. Besides, that's only one table entry.

> No access to OSF.  I _think_ shorts longer than 16 bits wouldn't be a
> problem (except for wasting some memory), but I guess we will find out.

I've checked. Two bytes.

> > Perhaps Digital UNIX. I'll check... if you can tell me what to check.
> > Which man page, or whatever.
>
> Guessing where which vendor will hide such information goes beyond my
> abilities.  But `man curses' should be a good starting point...

Uffff.... Why did I allow them to give me account on that thing?
After 5 minutes of looking through man pages, I think that everything's
there. Man standards says OSF 4.0 supports XPG4, whatever that is.

There is even man i18n_intro, which is a good starting point to

iconv(3)

  The iconv() function converts a string of characters in inbuf into a dif-
  ferent codeset and returns the the results in outbuf. The required con-
  verter is identified by cd, which must be a valid descriptor returned by a
  previous successful call to the iconv_open() function.

What they call codeset is code page. But, later on, it says

RESTRICTIONS

  Currently, the Digital UNIX product does not include locales whose codesets
  use shift-state encoding.  Some sections of this reference page refer to
  iconv() behavior with respect to conversion of shift sequences.  This
  information is included only for your convenience in developing portable
  applications that run on multiple platforms, some of which may supply
  locales whose codesets do use shift-state encoding.

From iconv_intro

FILES

  /usr/lib/nls/loc/iconv/*
       Algorithmic converters

 /usr/lib/nls/loc/iconvTable/*
      Table converters

/usr/share/phrdb/*
     Phrase conversion databases

Man Unicode says

DESCRIPTION

  The operating system provides locales and codeset converters that support
  the following standards:

    +  The Unicode Standard: Worldwide Character Encoding, Version 2.0,
       Unicode, Inc., 1995

    +  Information Technology-Universal Multiple-Octet Coded Character Set,
       ISO/IEC 10646:1993

       The Basic Multilingual Plane defined by this standard is identical
       with the main body of Unicode character encoding.

And so on... It seems that everything is there. Although the man page says
there is limitted support for UTF-8 translation.

Native curses package support color and functions for manipulation with
wide characters.

It seems there is a tutorial book with somewhat comercial :) title:
"Writing Software for the International Market" and I'll have a look at
that. It should be somewhere around, under a thick cover of dust.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden