Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx2.6 chartrans
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:45:44 +0100 (MET)

Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Drazen Kacar wrote:
>
> I don't think they are defined in any of the more-or-less "official"
> versions of HTML.  However, the HTML Pro DTD refers to:
>
> <!ENTITY % ISOlat2   PUBLIC "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 2//EN"
>                --<Title>Latin-2 more accented characters--
>                 >

> Locating that as a file would help, but I leave that task to someone else...

If you pick up the complete .tar.gz, you'll find it there, I think.

> > there. Man standards says OSF 4.0 supports XPG4, whatever that is.
>
> A POSIX standard.  Also supported by ncurses.

Why do all other POSIXes go by POSIX.something name, and this one doesn't?
Ah, nevermind...

> > RESTRICTIONS
> >
> >   Currently, the Digital UNIX product does not include locales whose
> >   codesets use shift-state encoding. [...]
>
> That's probably referring to ISO-2022 "charsets", which are used for CJK
> scripts, not to UTF8.

Maybe. There are translation tables for Chinese and Japanese IIRC.

> > And so on... It seems that everything is there. Although the man page says
> > there is limitted support for UTF-8 translation.
>
> Quite vague..  and doesn't answer the question whether a console can
> *understand* UTF8...

It's quite vague because I can't find those things in half an hour. There
are loads of man pages for i18n and l10n. Those were excerpts from
introductory pages. I'll try latter, after I find out how to emulate
sigaction with sigvec. :( Or whatever I can find on ULTRIX.

> My `man ncurses(3X)' (from ncurses 1.9.9e) says
>
>                                 "The following EXTENDED XSI Curses
>        calls in support of wide (multibyte)  characters  are  not
>        yet  implemented: addnwstr, addwstr, [etc. etc.]"
>
> Maybe you have those functions.

Yes, Solaris 2.5 and OSF 4.0 have them. I don't know about earlier versions.
There's no lower Solaris version around. I think there is older OSF somewhere.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden