Re: LYNX-DEV text/html;q=0.000

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV text/html;q=0.000
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 17:55:47 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why do so many Lynx users have it set to send "text/html;q=0.000" ?

Ah, have they?  This is the first time I hear about that.

Could be any of

 - User has done it on purpose.
 - User has done it by mistake.
 - Lynx does it on purpose (don't think so..)
 - Lynx does it by mistake a.k.a. bug
 - something at your end (the server)
 - a combination

Have you talked to some of those users?
Is "text/html;q=0.000" verbatim from the Accept header, or is that string
reconstructed after some interpretation by the server? What else is on
the Accept line in such cases?
Can you see a correlation with the Lynx version?

> This stops servers sending back HTML when they have to choose the
> best type to return.

Well maybe it *shouldn't* stop servers (Apache 1.2 in your case) from
sending back text/HTML, if it is necessary for giving a choice menu
for content negotiation.  From the HTTP 1.1 draft, 10.4.7:

  Note: HTTP/1.1 servers are allowed to return responses which are
  not acceptable according to the accept headers sent in the request.

So accept headers are not absolutely binding.  It doesn't make sense
to me that "Accept: text/html;q=0.000" should be able to prevent a server
from sending back an error response, even when that response has an HTML
entity body.  (and e.g. 406 is formally an error status.)

OTOH may people invoke Lynx from scripts etc. not for viewing, but for
downloading pages, and interactively selecting a "best type" wouldn't
be possible in such cases.

> What information should I post so that people can fix the
> misconfiguration for themselves ?

Are you gonna post it on a text/html page?  They won't see it, then...

  Klaus

;
;