Re: LYNX-DEV Comments on Lynx FAQ

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Comments on Lynx FAQ
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:04:08 +0900 (JST)

> that is where I started. Eventually, I hope to publish (available for
> download, etc) a printed version of a Lynx manual. This would fit into

Getting the HTML version together with lynx.browser.org pointing to it
would seem to be the top priority.  I encourage others to do as I have
done, and that is to put up a link to the FAQs.  A FAQ is a continuing
document, it never gets `done'.  Even now `Joe n Scott's FAQ' is a viable
resource.  (Some people just don't like the smell of mother's milk, but
personally I like babies, and believe in their potential.)  As to a
printed document, lynx does a great job of rendering HTML to text.  Just
do a P)rint, to disk if you can't get the output to a printer right away.

From my help page:
<li><a href="http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/FAQ/Als_picks.html";
>Al's FAQ</a>
: <i>ANSWERS</i> to your questions!

> Did I misunderstand you? I'm saying the manipulation of lynx.cfg would be
> in the installation section. I agree the o)ptions menu will be
> encountered first by a trainee, but I think it would usually be the

I cannot hide behind the label of trainee anymore (though I still feel like
I'm at that level), but when I first started, and still now, I do all option
setting in userdefs.h and lynx.cfg.  I only use o)ptions for toggling within
a session.  It depends not so much on your level of proficiency perhaps as
on how much control you have over the binary and how it runs.  There are
maybe three distinct categories here, a) the person who builds their own
and has ultimate control, b) the person who uses a binary compiled by someone
else, but does have their own account, and can set the runtime switches and
have their own lynx.cfg, and c) the person, poor soul, who is at the mercy
of the provider, and can only change certain parts of the o)ption menu, i.e.,
cannot even have a .lynxrc.

Just some ramblings.  __Henry
;
;