Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 01:56:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, kwfjndpw wrote:

> I'm an avid user of Lynx, even though I can always
> use PPP and Netscape, if I want.
>
> However I can't do with Lynx 2.6 what is possible
> to do with release 2.4.  Here are two features in
> Lynx 2.4 that are not upwardly compatible to release
> 2.6.
>
> - Linx 2.6 does not remember the last "goto" URL.
>   With release 2.4, the "g" command brings up the
>   last URL accessed with the "g" command.  With
>   release 2.6, the line is always blank after
>   entering the "g" command.

It's even better now: hit the up-arrow key at the "URL to open:" prompt,
and you can cycle through the previously entered URLs.
Lynx can also be configured to automatically put the last entry on the
prompt line, like you are used to.

> - With Lynx 2.4, the following URL always works
>   with the "g" command.  It resolves to the current
>   working directory from which Lynx was invoked.
>
>          file:
>
>   With release 2.6, this URL produces an error.

It's even better now: just enter

           .  (one dot)

and you get the directory from which Lynx was invoked.

> For the above two reasons, I always use release
> 2.4 of Lynx instead of release 2.6.  When these
> two problems are fixed, I'll start to use the new
> release.

I hope you are convinced now that it is worth using Lynx 2.6...
Up-to-date Users Guide for 2.6 is available from

 URL http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/2.6/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html

if you don't have it locally.

 Klaus

;