Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 05:10:26 -0800

> From address@hidden Mon Dec  2 15:27:06 1996
> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:59:51 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden>
> Well, "fixed" is a subjective term in this case.  The actual problem
> before was more than MAXLINKS appearing on the screen at the same time.
> The page could have 1000 links, but as long as no more than 256 (the
> default MAXLINKS value) were on the screen at one time, you would be ok.
> Fote fudged on the "fix" and made it ignore anything past MAXLINKS.  As a
> result, on HP-UX the last 6-7 links on each page are not accessible, but
> it doesn't crash.  I'm not sure if the dynamic allocation patch has been
> kept up or if it will work with the current composite or not...

So far, I've never run into the problem -- but my bookmarks
file is growing, and I'd imagine the same limit applies
to that as to any other page.  Suggestions:

   Until dynamic code is found/upgraded/installed, raise
   the default to 1000 (it is "just" an array of pointers,
   I'd imagine -- but don't know.  If an array of huge
   structs, pre-allocated, than that's something else!).

   Most importantly (assuming it is not doing this already!),
   add a "shout out" to Fote's "fix" via ignoring, so at least
   the user knows what's happening to "this" page, effectively
   being truncated.  Maybe display a page that says what's
   happening, with either it timing out after 5 seconds, or
   the user having to manually return to the too-big page.

;
;