Re: LYNX-DEV Historical question about libwww used in Lynx.

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Historical question about libwww used in Lynx.
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:13:35 -0600 (CST)

Can't answer your historical question, but..

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> Ok, I have a question about the history of the wwwlib used in Lynx.  I
> know that the version string says libwww/2.14-FM implying that it's
> version 2.14 with heavy modifications made primarily by Fote.  Looking at
> the history of changes on w3c for the current wwwlib, they list 2.15 as
> having changes made by Lou Montoulli for Lynx... So, is the version in
> Lynx actually 2.15 or 2.14 with mods?

What's the difference?  :)

Lynx 2.6 is basically (the final stage of) Lynx 2.5-FM renamed...  etc.

>                                        I'm just curious because, like
> Klaus, I have done some investigation about the possibility of
> incorporating at least portions of the newer wwwlib (probably not as much
> work as Klaus though. :) ).

Let me know if you want to have a look at what I have done.
It works, somewhat, on Linux.  Or maybe you want a Linux binary that
does HTTP 1.1 (persistent connections, chunked transfer-encoding) but
doesn't currently do POST or Authorization...  It also features messed-up
URL parsing and a working persistent disk cache (but no switch to turn it
off...).

>                              I did try to make it on HP-UX, and it wil
> definitely require gnu make. :(  That might be something that would have
> to be taken out...

For what does it require GNU make?  Maybe just for the ./configure thing,
but not necessarily for interpreting the finally generated Makefile?
If that's the case, a hypothetical Lynx-with-libwww5 could distribute
some frozen Makefiles for some configurations where ./configure cannot be
used (like Lynx uses frozen Makefiles today).

  Klaus

;
;