Re: LYNX-DEV GNU licence help

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV GNU licence help
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:57:39 +0000 (GMT)

Robert Bonomi wrote:

> 2) on 'source code' -- this is what is commonly referred to a s the GPL.
>    Complete applications, or if you pull _any_part_ of that application for
>    inclusion in a different product.  You are *required* to make your
> =entire=
>    application available under the GPL.  _Complete_ source code to anyone
>    upon request.

It's actually more subtle than it seems.  I've been having
correspondence with Richard Stallman about this recently, and basically
the product has to involve at least link editing of the code (or,
presumably modification of the actual source code).  In a Lynx context,
this would mean that a software package that included and and invoked
Lynx would be covered by the mere aggregation clause, as long as no code
from Lynx where embedded in the source code of any other parts.

This means that you must identify that Lynx is covered by the GPL, and
provide source on at handling costs only, but the GPL would not extend
to other complete programs which were part of the whole package.
I.e. the rule applies to programs, not to applications, which may be
multiple programs.

I had assumed that the mere aggregation clause was meant to allow
inclusion in things like CD ROM "free"/shareware distributions, but
according to the authorative source, it is actually much more liberal
than that.

;
;