Re: LYNX-DEV Please clarify...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Please clarify...
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 06:03:46 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Julian Rodriguez wrote:

> 3) Could Rob either update the stand-alone character patch so that it
> supports slang (like the composite+character patch does), or update the
> composite+character-patch so that it reflects the newest composite patch?
>
> 4) I would like to know which patches are "canon," (I assume the composite
> patch is, although I thought the original purpose of the composite patch
> was to combine all the *bug fix* patches.)  Which patches are "bug-fix",
> which are developmental, and which are tweaks and enhancements?  For
> example, is the multi-bookmark support now part of the standard lynx code
> set (again assuming the composite patch is "canon"), or do I still need to
> go to Fillip's page?

The multi-bookmark support is now part of Hiram's Composite Patch -
As you could easily find out by visiting his Updates page and viewing
the HTMLized CHANGES file.

> 5) Is lynx26-rp still the de facto developmental version of lynx?  I saw
> Fote mention lynx26-kw for Klaus's character patch code, but as that
> hasn't surfaced publicly, I'm guessing Rob is still in charge.  Are
> *you* (I'm using Klaus' "you") gonna finish the tweaks of existing
> enhancements to the lynx code (character styles, multi-bookmarks, snews,
> etc.) and call it lynx2-7?

I am currently treating Hiram's updated version, aka Composite Patch,
as de facto "standard" or "canon".  When I contribute patches, I try
to base them on the latest code that appears on Hiram's page.

[Hiram, you probably should slightly update the text that appears on
Currently it says "The zip archive below contains a series of patches
with bug-fixes, typo corrections, and minor enhancements to Lynx 2.6..."
but I think the enhancements go a bit beyond "minor" by now.
You have already described the status nicely in your reply to Julian,
so maybe you could just put some of that text on the page.]

I guess I *could* (and maybe I should?) treat Rob's version as "canon
development version", but there are are some reasons why I currently
don't do that:  I find the pages with Rob's code rather confusing, and
they are updated much less frequently.

I am not planning to become maintainer of (yet another?) "canon" code
set.  Hiram is already doing a nice job, and maybe Rob will in the future,
or the two of them will find a way to share or coordinate that job.
Fote has suggested that I put up a lynx26-kw code set, to avoid dealing
with too many patch files which may be inconsistent.  I think what I
currently have available at
comes close enough to that (you still need to get at least the official
Lynx2.6 distribution).  I plan to keep that up to date w.r.t. the current
"canon" development code (that is for now, Hiram's), but not merge in
other patches unrelated to character translation - they still first have to
go through (for now) Hiram's hands.

[Rob, here is a wishlist rwgarding your pages:
- Make it more clear what is what.
  "The current Lynx-rp code set".
  The link labelled "Various versions of Rob's styles patch" leads
  to a page with only some old stuff.
  On several pages you refer to "Hiram's composite patch" without ever
  mentioning a date.  Without knowing *which* edition of Hiram's you
  are referring to, that information is nearly worthless.  When you
  mention 2.6-u or 2.6-rpu, somebody who hasn't already downloaded the
  code will not understand what you are talking about.
  Please provide something like a CHANGES file (like Fote and Hiram do)
  for each new code set, so that one can get an idea about what is
  included in the code and in what area changes have been made, without
  downloading and unpacking the whole thing.
  Also, Subir's Patches page still contains a link to
  and the status of whatever is on that page is unclear - how does it
  relate to what is on the lynx.browser.org pages?  (And the fragment
  "No 2.6RP-color here yet either. This modem is just too slow..."
  only confuses more..  How the heck am I supposed to know what "here"
  means in that sentence, or which page is sitting behind a modem...)
End of wishlist..]

   Klaus

;
;