LYNX-DEV HTParse/HTSimplify and DIRED mods

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV HTParse/HTSimplify and DIRED mods
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 02:05:31 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I added more stuff to lyxx2-6mods.zip, which people who have
> read the Lynx documentation and the HTML and HTTP specs might like to
> try:
>
> 12-04-96
[ snip ]
> * Tweaks of DIRED_SUPPORT. - KW

That seem to be the lost lines in LYMainLoop.c this time.

[Note that those lines were not by me, they were "always there" and
I have never examined them closely;  I just noticed they were missing
at some point.]

More DIRED_SUPPORT changes from me are now at

     * Don't create bogus "../" links in directory listings.
     * Force screen refresh after a DIRED system command has failed.
     * Usability enhancement for DIRED's 'F' menu: list number and names
       of (some of) the tagged items, and provide a way to untag all
       items.

In addition, those patches also modify HTParse and HTSimplify.

I have noticed some problems with the old (ancient) implementation,
and none so far with my new version.  I still preserve the historic
deviations from the RFC-prescribed handling where there may be some
good reason for it (as discussed on this list a while ago).
That includes non-recognition of URL parameters, and treating a
'?' query string as part of the path in HTParse.

HTSimplify was being called from HTParse when a relative URL path
was resolved wrt an absolute related URL.  I changed that to call
new function HTSimplifyURLAbsPath instead.
HTSimplify is also called in about 15 places in HTML.c.  I still
don't see why these calls are necessary, since they are usually followed
by a call to HTParse, or HTAnchor_findChildAndLink which in turn will
call HTParse.
But anyway, my new implementation of HTSimplify should (and seems to)
work in those cases.  I noted that one of the calls in HTML_start_element,
     case HTML_APPLET:
           HTSimplify(code);
may be done with an argument that has not been checked for being a full
URL.  That is probably an oversight and should be changed, but I am not
sure about that.

Other calls of HTSimplify:
 one in HTAAServ.c, in a function which never gets called anywhere..
 one in HTFile.c, no problem there..
 and in Fote's latest personal mods, he introduces a new one in the
  new function LYPathOffHomeOK, which also is no problem.

"No problem" means HTSimplify doesn't get called on something that
may be a full URL.
  ---
Nine files are affected, they are also available with the
patches applied.

  Klaus

;
;