Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables

From: Mike Brudenell
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2.6 under IRIX with large tables
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:22:43 +0000 (GMT)

Greetings again!

My sincere apologies for the day or two's silence ... we've been having
severe load problems on our mail server, and myself and two colleagues
have been running round in circles for the last two days gettings things
prepared for a Big Shakeup tomorrow morning.  (Gulp!)

Following the comments about MAXLINKS I first tried running Lynx in a
smaller window than I nromally use (47 lines) and found it worked just
fine up to a window size of (memory fogs) around 20 lines.

It begins to look as if the number of links on the screen is indeed the
culprit!

So I have recompiled Lynx with a larger value of MAXLINKS as suggested,
and it now happily and sweetly loads the problem page:
        http://www.york.ac.uk/ServerSupport/UsageStats/

Thanks to your wonderful advice I now have a working version of Lynx I can
release to our clamouring users.

However this does tend to suggest that the additional code referred to in
a separate message which was meant to make Lynx ignore links on a screen
over and above MAXLINKS isn't working properly.

If it would help track this down I can recompile Lynx again with the
original (256) value of MAXLINKS and send a trace.  Please let me know if
you would like me to do so.

[Reminder: please reply/cc to me directly through e-mail as I am not a
member of the lynx-dev mailing list.]

Cheers and thanks!

--
Mike Brudenell                                         <address@hidden>
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York, YO1 5DD, UK