LYNX-DEV Re: your mail

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: your mail
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:01:53 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Wilhelm Reindl wrote:

> I downloaded lynx2-6.tar.Z, uncompressed it, executed chmod755, and tried
> to execute as follows:
>
> % lynx2-6.tar
>
> and I got:
>
> lynx2-6.tar: Syntax error at line 1: '(' unexpected

Hehe..A .tar file isn't an executable file, even if chmodded to be so.  It
sounds like you've pulled the 2-6 source, so you'll need to untar it, and
read the docs, and then run make :)
vis:
tar xvf lynx2-6.tar
more INSTALLATION
make <system>

If you want precompiled binaries, tell us what system you're on (I'd guess
it was an IRIX..well, not guess :> ), including the version, and we'll see
if anybody has a copy :>

HTH

Duncan Hill