Re: LYNX-DEV History disappears - how do I get a list of ALL past URLs

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV History disappears - how do I get a list of ALL past URLs
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:26:45 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> I've been thinking about this some more.  Needing to go forward in the
> history is not as common as going back or following a link.  The
> parallelism between Go Back and Go Forward would be nice, but not at
> that expense.
>
> Strike my vote for the right arrow.

I had pretty much decided against that anyway.  To most people, the arrow
key operation is just too ingrained, and has been that way for a LONG
time.  Navigation in gopher can be done entirely with the arrow keys.  Tin
allows similar operations using the arrow keys.  The right arrow key
should stay "activate" even though it seems an obvious choice in many ways
for a forward command.

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:
> How about taking the plunge into multi-character bindings?
> :n would be fairly familiar to users of `less'.
> And perhaps :x could someday be an escape for emacs-style logn command
> names, so that you can access infrequently-used features without tying up
> more keys.

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> Record my vote for a more cumbersome key combination, preferably :n .

I presume this is from the next document command on less and most... Seems
kind of an odd choice... I think most of us agree that 2 key commands will
eventually come, but is this necessary right now?  There are still several
keys unmapped.  To the best of my knowledge the following keys are still
free:

Dollar Sign     $       (might be a problem on international keyboards...
                         the British have those funny little cursive L's
                         *tongue in cheek*)
Percent Sign    %
Caret           ^
Ampersand       &
Underscore      _
Vertical Bar    |       (common in unix as a pipe command and might should
                         be reserved as such...)
Curly Braces    {}      (both are still free)
(Semi)Colon     :;      (again, both are free.  A WHOLE KEY on many kb's!)
Period          .
Tilde           ~