Re: LYNX-DEV History disappears - how do I get a list of ALL past URLs

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV History disappears - how do I get a list of ALL past URLs
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:38:10 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Al Gilman wrote:
> > Oh, no!  You would break the best part of Lynx -- how it runs from
> > the four cursor keys.
>
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:
> > Ugh.  Right Arrow Not Broke.  Don't Fix!
>
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this some more.  Needing to go forward in the
> > history is not as common as going back or following a link.  The
> > parallelism between Go Back and Go Forward would be nice, but not at
> > that expense.
> >
> > Strike my vote for the right arrow.
>
> I had pretty much decided against that anyway.  To most people, the arrow
> key operation is just too ingrained, and has been that way for a LONG
> time.  Navigation in gopher can be done entirely with the arrow keys.  Tin
> allows similar operations using the arrow keys.  The right arrow key
> should stay "activate" even though it seems an obvious choice in many ways
> for a forward command.
>
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:
> > How about taking the plunge into multi-character bindings?
> > :n would be fairly familiar to users of `less'.
> > And perhaps :x could someday be an escape for emacs-style logn command
> > names, so that you can access infrequently-used features without tying up
> > more keys.
>
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> > Record my vote for a more cumbersome key combination, preferably :n .
>
> I presume this is from the next document command on less and most... Seems
> kind of an odd choice... I think most of us agree that 2 key commands will
> eventually come, but is this necessary right now?  There are still several
> keys unmapped.  To the best of my knowledge the following keys are still
> free:
>
> Dollar Sign   $       (might be a problem on international keyboards...
>                        the British have those funny little cursive L's
>                        *tongue in cheek*)
> Percent Sign  %
> Caret         ^
> Ampersand     &
> Underscore    _
> Vertical Bar  |       (common in unix as a pipe command and might should
>                        be reserved as such...)
> Curly Braces  {}      (both are still free)
> (Semi)Colon   :;      (again, both are free.  A WHOLE KEY on many kb's!)
> Period                .
> Tilde         ~

Personally, I'd like to have the option for fairly arbitrary mappings in
the lynx.cfg file, with 'bindings' to long command names like emacs uses.
But then, I am an emacs weenie ;). Whether or not 'next document' is bound
to a key (or even gets written) I'd like to reserve a prefix for long
commands. As a frequent user of `less' and `screen', and a former user of
`vi', I thing colon (:) is a logical choice for an extended command
prefix, and should be reserved for such.

Semicolon (;) and period (.) both seem likely candidates for the 'next'
document' binding, as they are near the 'vi' movement keys on a qwerty
keyboards.

Just my take on it.

;
;